Hello! And welcome to my blog…
In case you are here for the first time, welcome!
I have had the pleasure of being hired as an employee for a company in June 2018, a company that I researched previously online and looked like a very cool place to work. (You can connect with me on Linked-In to check out what I am doing).
As soon as the opportunity came up, I jumped on the plane from Western Australia and moved back to Sydney Australia (that’s about a 5 hours flight).
This was all done within a week.
At the time of writing this blog I still have most of my belongings in Western Australia stored away, and I am sleeping on a couch at a friend’s house while I’m finding accommodations.
Sometimes in life you just have to jump on opportunities – and have the courage to make drastic changes despite what others think.
I can assure you, I have quite a few raised eyebrows and doubters in my decision to move back to Sydney and get a “9 to 5 job”.
As an online Entrepreneur who is living the laptop lifestyle, getting a J.O.B. for some people is almost like a despicable word.
I did not have to get that job, but I chose to. And after just a couple of days, I am very happy I did.
Here is a brief bullet point summary I learned from having a 9 to 5 job:
(1) There is not better place to learn to be the boss of your own company than being in the trenches as an employee first and seeing the inner workings of a thriving company.
(2) The best way to run a company is not to run a “corporate” company, but to create a culture and a community of like-minded people that has its own unique core values and set of beliefs.
(3) If you are going to have a job, get hired in a company that you enjoy being around the people who work there as much as possible.
(4) Nothing is ever going to be perfect – if you are joining a group, a company, a team, expect to be an active participant in solving imperfections, not complain about them. Being part of the team means it is YOUR job to help make things better for everyone.
(5) Having an OFFICE, i.e. outside of your home, and having to travel to get there, can be considered to be counter-productive in terms of travel, but can be MORE productive in terms of actually having a start-change-stop time period of getting work DONE. Just knowing that I have just 3 hours in the office after work to do the work on my online business forced me to be focused, forced me to have the exact actions I have to get done, and formed me to be clear on what it is I need to get done in short amount of time.
(6) No matter what you do in life, Entrepreneurship, 9 to 5 job, run a business, what matters is not what you do so much, it is your MINDSET toward what you are doing. I am just as happy doing a job, as I am working for myself as an online Entrepreneur. I am ever happier now since I am doing BOTH – bigger game!
(7) The bigger the game, the better!
There you go!
Short list of exciting lessons from my first day. Just some casual observations.
I am sure there will be lots more on the way….